Thursday, February 12, 2009

February, Month of Fail

Ok, so I slipped. I missed out on posting Sunday, Monday, AND Wednesday, and let's be honest- Tuesday's was a bit of a cop out. The goal was to bring you somewhat meaningful content every day, and apparently I just didn't have it in me. Sunday I spent much of the day sleeping, walking my dog on the beach, packing, and driving or being driven home from North Carolina. Monday i pondered my will to live while cursing seagulls for being able to come and go from the ocean as often as they please. My survival instinct kicked in just long enough to retrieve a cheeseburger and malt vinegar soaked fries from Five Guys, then disappeared again when my tummy informed my brain that without the assistance of my long-gone gall bladder, that cheeseburger would be staying awhile. Wednesday I worked from home for the last time as part of my "Injured-Grown-Ass-Moron" status assigned to me by my doctor, then later made my first ever slow-cooker meal AND returned to the gym for the first time in a week. This is also when I discovered that not only are Springtime Oreos NOT the breakfast of champions, but apparently when you're sick or injured you do not get carte blanche to eat whatever you want without having to face the consequences of heightened caloric intake. Oops.

So I fell behind on the blogging. I also missed my first 365 self portrait. Day 41, a day that will go undocumented. It's the day I was sucked into a vortex that was just out of reach of my D80. Otherwise you KNOW I would've taken about a million pictures of that thing. What else am I failing? No Soda 2009. DUDES. I'm literally minutes from marching myself into the break room and buying a big 'ol 8oz Coca Cola Classic. I want it so bad, that if I were on an island and some skinny blonde had just taken off her bikini for some peanut butter and chocolate (which CBS would have us believe is the end all be all of women's culinary delight), I would offer to have her do it again so that I could enjoy a giant chug of soda. And then I'd gulp too big and get that big carbonation bubble in my throat and feel like I was gonna die for about 15 seconds but it would be SO WORTH IT.

What else have I failed at this month... ah yes, roller derby. Just over a week ago I went to a local skating rink to practice my skills, in anticipation of a new 'fresh meat' training camp for the DC Rollergirls. After almost 2 hours of remaining successfully upright, I fell right on my ass while pointing and laughing at a friend who was in the process of losing her balance. She stayed on her feet while karma refocused her attention on me just in time to show me that my but is not the massive cushy pillow I originally believed. This left me with a bruised tailbone and the inability to sit properly on ANYTHING. Awesome.

My original plan was to soldier on- enjoy the Vicodin induced hazes while they lasted, go to training camp and stand on the sidelines until I was able to get back into some skates. But then the economy took another dive and reality stepped in to remind me that perhaps I should persue a different and less painful hobby. Because let's face it, I'm gonna land on my ass again, and when I do I'm gonna be sooooo pissed about it.

Instead, I'm going to rededicate my focus and monies to my original passion- the sea. I want to learn to SCUBA dive this year, and that ain't cheap. I also have wanted to learn to sail for a while, and there are a few marinas in the area that offer workshops. Since I just can't seem to grown any gills I figure it's time to find other ways to sustain myself under and on top of the water. I'm definitely looking forward to persuing those interests, and content to watch other girls push each other down on a derby track. Well, for now anyway. Let's face it- I just wanted the fishnets, a cute skirt, some rollerskates, and a cool nickname anyway. I'll find out what other ways I can support the ladies of DC Derby without having to get my healthcare provider involved.

tumble

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Scuba or roller derby- either way, totally cool!

Post a Comment