Tuesday, June 17, 2008

To Virgin Mobile Fest, or Not To Virgin Mobile Fest?

"... Whether 'tis nobler in the ear to suffer the joy and excitement of outrageous rocking,or to take arms against a sea of hippies and crowdsurfers..."

I haven't been to a summer music festival since my last HFStival experience @ RFK Stadium. I actually had to look it up on Wikipedia to figure out what year it was and who performed, but I still can't seem to get it right. I DO remember sitting with my friend Jeremy as he drank a giant limeaid to recover from some gnarly crowdsurfing, then got sick in the upperdeck. I remember coming home from the show and getting about 3hrs sleep before my mom had to drive me up to Williamstown, MA for a summer stock internship. Falling in loooooove with Stephen Jenkins and running around the upper concourse trying to find a stand with a Jamiroquai t-shirt left to purchase. Sunburns and flashers, and that one year when a girl was struck by lightning inside the stadium. Bananas. I'm too old for that crap now, right?

But you see, the Virgin Mobile Festival seems to have the antidote for my 'bad trip' style memories. I'm actually tempted to get tickets and spend 2 days with a bunch of other wound-up monkeys in what will inevitably become a mud pit of doom and not enough port-a-potties. Why? Let's review the lineup (bands I wanna see in bold):


Saturday, Aug 9th
Citizen Cope
Duffy
Rodrigo y Gabriela
KT Tunstall
Lupe Fiasco
Foo Fighters
The Offspring
Wilco
Jack Johnson
Bloc Party
The Swell Season
Gogol Bordello
Chuck Berry and The Silver Beats
Cat Power
Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings

Sunday, Aug 10th
Lil Wayne
She & Him
Iggy & The Stooges
Shudder to Think
Paramore
Stone Temple Pilots
Nine Inch Nails
The Go! Team
Bob Dylan
Kanye West
Taking Back Sunday
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
The Black Keys
Andrew Bird

But is it worth the $175 2-day general admission ticket price? I'm thinking maybe. Because I've tried to see Foo Fighters before and they don't come through here. I sold my Lupe ticket earlier this year and didn't catch Kanye's tour. Lil Wayne is making me mad with the fact that I'm digging 3 songs off his latest album. STP without Scott Weiland.... hm. I discovered Paramore this past January, and would love to catch them live before they pseudo-breakup again. The Offspring would be all about nostalgia, and I'm curious to see how KT Tunstall performs live. I've also heard some good hype about The Swell Season.

I do, however, already have a ticket to see the Summer Soul Fest with Jill Scott, The Roots, and Estelle @ Merriweather Post Pavilion Saturday Aug. 2nd. So it's not like I'm missing out on concerts entirely this summer... I just can't decide if this is a show I wanna see too. Suggestions?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Go! You only live once, right?

Anonymous said...

If I weren't running that frackin' 10K, hubby and I would so go.

Post a Comment